It has been suggested that the present Crover House was built in 1867 by Henry Maxwell, seventh Baron Farnham, whose wife was Anna Frances, daughter of Lord Le Despencer.
The Maxwell family (and in particular the head of the family, Lord Farnham) were the biggest landowners and political power brokers in Cavan. In fact, they were one of the largest landowners in Ireland. The house consisted of eight bedrooms and three bathrooms upstairs, two stairways (so that the servants did not have to meet the occupants), a kitchen, sitting room and downstairs bathroom, along with a drawing room. The outbuildings consisted of a stable, piggery and barn, together with cow and potato sheds. By the nineteenth century, the Maxwells owned 28,000 acres of land in Cavan.