- Gift Cards
- Contact Us
Crover and the land attached to it was then bought by Vincent Matthews and his wife Anita in 1955. They changed it in to a hotel in 1957. They sold and rented some of the land. Over the years, Vincent built on to the hotel. The hotel consisted of fourteen bedrooms, kitchen, a ballroom and two bars (the Front Bar and the Boat Bar). The first Wedding that ever took place in Crover House Hotel was Majo and Cecil Kiernan on December 28th 1957.
Tenancy of the house continues in the Cumming family when Thomas was succeeded by Robert prior to 1863. The next tenant was a Colonel Cumming about 1896. Colonel Edward William Cumming and his wife Julia lived in the house until their deaths. Both are buried in the grounds of St. Paul’s Church in Ballyjamesduff.
It has been suggested that the present Crover House was built in 1867 by Henry Maxwell, seventh Baron Farnham, whose wife was Anna Frances, daughter of Lord Le Despencer. The Maxwell family (and in particular the head of the family, Lord Farnham) were the biggest landowners and political power brokers in Cavan. In fact, they were one of the largest landowners in Ireland. The house consisted of eight bedrooms and three bathrooms upstairs, two stairways (so that the servants did not have to meet the occupants), a kitchen, sitting room and downstairs bathroom, along with a drawing room. The outbuildings consisted of a stable, piggery and barn, together with cow and potato sheds. By the nineteenth century, the Maxwells owned 28,000 acres of land in Cavan.